Hospice volunteers are motivated for many reasons. They find it personally gratifying and emotionally meaningful to assist those in need at a critical point in their lives. Many volunteers are introduced to hospice through the death of a family member, loved one or friend and understand firsthand the value of hospice care, but nearly 20% of volunteers are new to hospice. Volunteers consistently report that helping the terminally ill through hospice is not about dying but about living.
Whatever your motivation, there is a place for you within Compass Regional Hospice! We have many opportunities for volunteers such as visiting patients, grief program support, welcome desk, events staffing and working in the garden. For a more complete list of opportunities see the "Volunteer Opportunities" form. For additional information on volunteering and volunteer opportunities please contact Courtney Williams or call 443-262-4112.
How you can volunteer:
- Direct patient care: Provide companionship and support to patients and their families in their homes, at nursing homes, assisted living facilities and at our Hospice Center in Centreville and Caroline Hospice Home in Denton
- Grief support: Offer compassion, support, friendship and education to grieving family members
- Veteran-to-Veteran volunteers: Patient care volunteers with military experience who provide support and companionship to veterans receiving hospice care
- Patient support: Create gifts or special projects for patients and families
- General services: Help with routine building and garden maintenance
- Administrative assistance: Answer phones, file, greet visitors, assist with mailings and other general office work
- Community education and outreach: Participate in community events and speak publicly about hospice
- Camp New Dawn: Mentor campers, facilitate camp activities and assist with outreach and fundraising
- Estate Treasures: Work at our upscale resale shop where sales of clothing, household items and collectibles donated by the community benefit Compass Regional Hospice
- Licensed professional volunteers: Provide complementary therapies including massage, reiki, cosmetology and pet therapy
Volunteer of the month
- Compass Regional Hospice chose Robyn Singh of Annapolis as the most recent volunteer of the month. As a patient support volunteer Singh helps to support Compass Regional Hospice’s Memory Bears program. Taking on multiple projects a month, Robyn crafts specialized bears for those families who have lost a loved one. Read more>>
Upcoming Volunteer Training
Adults interested in volunteering to provide companionship and support to patients and their families in their homes, nursing homes and residential hospice centers in Centreville and Denton must complete specialized training. The next training sessions will be held: Tuesday. March 7 through Thursday March 9, Presbyterian Church, 905 Gateway Drive in Chestertown, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and Tuesday, March 21- Thursday, March 23, Compass Regional Hospice's Hope & Healing Center, 255 Comet Drive in Centreville, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
For more information, contact Courtney Williams or call 443-262-4112.