Hospice volunteers are motivated for many reasons. They find it personally gratifying and emotionally meaningful to assist those in need at a critical point in their lives. Many volunteers are introduced to hospice through the death of a family member, loved one or friend and understand firsthand the value of hospice care, but nearly 20% of volunteers are new to hospice.
Whatever your motivation, there is a place for you within Compass Regional Hospice! For additional information on volunteer opportunities or if you are interested in volunteering, contact Courtney Williams, Manager of Volunteer and Professional Services, 443-262-4112.
Ways to volunteer:
- Patient Care: Specially trained volunteers provide companionship and support to patients and their families in their homes, at nursing homes, assisted living facilities and at our residential hospice centers in Centreville, Chestertown and Denton.
- Veteran-to-Veteran: Patient care volunteers with military experience, have the unique ability to connect with patients who served in the military and with their families by providing support and companionship.
- Grief Support: Specially trained volunteers offer compassion, support, friendship and education to grieving family members.
- Patient Support: Skillful volunteers create gifts and sponsor special projects for patients and families, such as quilts and memory bears.
- General Services: Versatile volunteers help to answer phones, file, greet visitors, assist with mailings and other general office work. They also help with routine building and garden maintenance.
- Camp New Dawn: Volunteers assist in many capacities with the annual grief retreat for children, teens and families by mentoring campers, facilitating activities, and assisting with planning, outreach and fundraising.
- Estate Treasures: Work at our upscale resale shop located in Chester where sales of adult and children’s clothing, accessories, household items and other treasures donated by the community benefit Compass Regional Hospice.
- Licensed Professionals: Massage therapists, reiki practitioners, cosmetologists and pet therapy volunteers are just a few of the opportunities for trained professionals to join the Compass family.